Healthy, skinny, and protecting the animals is the holy trinity of being a nutritious plant-based dieter. But if you’re not at a healthy weight, here’s some vegan-approved foods that are not only extremely healthy, but they also aid weight loss. Being a plant-based dieter opens the door to all sorts of wonderful side effects!
- Cinnamon: don’t grab for that box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Don’t do it. That’s like me telling you, “Eat fruit!” and you grab for the strawberry ice cream. When I say cinnamon, I’m talking about the hard stuff. Right from nature. Or at least right from your supermarket’s shelves in ground-cinnamon form. It’s known that “…adding cinnamon to your diet can cause your body to burn more calories without the need for more exercise” (McCormick Science Institute). Every couch potato’s dream: Exercise in spice form.
- Lemon-ginger-mint water: if Lebron James and Michael Jordan were fused into one superhuman basketball player, even they wouldn’t be as awesome as the combination of lemon, ginger and mint in water. Stupid metaphors aside, mixing all these ingredients into a pitcher and letting it sit overnight = instant weight loss drink. This is a staple if you’re on a detox diet because of its magical healing powers, and I got the recipe from Prevention Magazine.
- Apples: Okay, not as unexpected as you thought. But turns out, women who ate three apples a day lost on average 1/2 pound more than those not eating apples. Granted, there’s no way of knowing if the women in the study who weren’t eating the apples were chowing down on snickers bars, but you can’t argue with 1/2 a pound. Eat some apples!
- Kiwis: fiber + natural appetizer suppressant. If a kiwi and a donut got into a fight, the kiwi would win. And not just because it’s a natural weight loss food, but because the doughnut would have an identity crisis in the middle of the epic battle because, honestly, nobody really knows which spelling of donut/doughnut is right. So while all the donuts in the world go cry themselves to sleep, you can applaud the fact that kiwis are helping you cut inches off your waistline because of their combined powers of Vitamin C, flavonoids and carotenoids, offering great antioxidant protection. (From Discovery Health)
- Almonds: Let’s face it, Almonds are pretty gross to 99% of people who have working tastebuds. Yet if you can suffer through the bland taste, (or if you cave and buy the salted kind, which makes it marginally less awful tasting), you need to read this little tidbit from WebMD: “Researchers found that people eating a diet rich in almonds lost more weight than those on a high-carb diet with the same number of calories.” So MAN UP and eat a handful of these suckers.
So there you have it. The key to happiness (or at least weight loss, but who says they aren’t synonymous?) in list form. You’re welcome.