“You mean, to become a vegetarian/plant based diet-er, I have to eat more vegetables?”
No, the “veg” in “vegetarian” is just a coincidence.
Of course you do! In fact, everybody could use more vegetables in their diet, whether it be for cancer and disease prevention, weight loss, or just for the bragging rights. (Two words: Arugula. Jicama. Top those Obscure Vegetables, I dare you!)
Anyways, I’m going to show you 5 super stealthy tips so that you can add more vegetables to your diet and not even realize that you’re eating foods like Spinach on Popeye-like proportions.
- Side Dishes: You know what always goes well with a meal? A side salad. Or how about some green beans? Wait! That spinach is about to expire! Chop up some walnuts and grab the dried cranberries and go nuts with that spinach salad. Make these side dishes a vegetable-palooza to be reckoned with.
- Veggie-heavy meals: Two words. Minestrone Soup. Vegetarian-style. Go find a recipe. (Eventually I’ll post mine, it has a ton of delicious and nutrient rich vegetables.) Basically, any kind of soup with vegetable broth and a variety of tasty veggies makes for a perfect meal with satisfying leftovers.
- The “Eye Level” Rule: When you go shopping in retail stores, all of the brand-new overly priced items are always in the front of the store at eye level. Why? Because stores know that people are inherently lazy. Merchandise needs to be accessible in order to increase sales. Same goes with vegetables. They will surely be forgotten if they’re wilting in the back of the fridge behind all those brightly colored fruits and tasty tofurkey. Put them RIGHT IN THE FRONT of your fridge, pre-washed, in a colored bowl. At eye level. Minimal effort will be required, and when hunger strikes, these vegetables will be the first food you grab for.
- Learn how to cook them properly: When cooking leek, you want to be tender without turning brown. Learn all of these little cooking tips in order to cook your vegetables properly and to their fullest level of deliciousness!
- Challenge yourself to add vegetables to EVERY dish: You know what would taste better with that tofu? Not a vegan? Add salsa to those eggs in the morning! What about that pasta? It needs some green peppers!
The veggie challenge: don’t just eat more vegetables. Become a connoisseur. Check out our rapidly expanding list of obscure vegetables and enjoy your new repertoire of exotic foods!