Ever miss cooking things on that grill that’s been collecting dust thanks to your discovery of the wonders of a plant-based diet? Never fear! The Grilled Veggie Sandwich is here!
This week’s super-easy 5-minute recipe contains….
- upwards of 30 grams of protein (with cheese), 18g without.
- 365 calories without cheese, 537 with cheese.
- Tons of delicious vitamin-rich veggies and fiber-rich whole wheat bread.
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup of arugula (or spinach)
- 1/2 cup of a red pepper, chopped (or tomatoes, if you prefer those to red peppers)
- 1/2 cup of sliced cucumbers
- 2 tbsp Hummus
- 2 slices of Havarti cheese (optional)
- Gather and prepare veggies. Don’t they look delicious and oh-so-artistic?
- Spread hummus on two slices of bread. I love adding hummus to this sandwich, because it’s a low-calorie alternative to butter. It still makes the sandwich just a bit juicy and tasty without the calories. I like the sun-dried tomato hummus the best, but any kind of hummus will work here. And hummus has protein, which is pretty much every plant-based dieter’s catchphrase/signature afterthought. “This yogurt is so delicious! …and it has 12 grams of protein!”
- UPDATE: Introducing THE SUPER DUPER LOW-FAT HUMMUS RECIPE! You can find it here. It’s classy and delicious, we promise.
- Put together the sandwich, and grill it. Guess what! The carnivores in your house are actually good for something at this step. Go ask them for a ‘George Foreman’ grill. it’s a smallish thing that’s perfect for sandwiches. You literally put the sandwich on the grill and then close the top, just like a waffle iron or something. I’m not really fluent in kitchen-speak, but you get the idea. It’s really cool. Just DO NOT CUT YOUR SANDWICH IN HALF BEFORE YOU GRILL IT. Cut the sandwich afterwards. Trust me on this one. Not only will more yummy vegetables begin leaking out of your stuffed sandwich and attempt to escape, but you will most likely have to grill each half separately.
Note: you do NOT have to have a special grill to make this sandwich. You can just put it in a frying pan and toss it on the stove. The point here is simple: melt the cheese! Melt all of the cheese! Melt it like a whole bag of chocolate melts in your car during a hot summer’s day and you return only to find a gooey mess and none of that delicious chocolate that you were envisioning eating all day long and will now be forced to either go buy another bag or return home, defeated, to go eat something healthy and confront your addiction to Carmel-filled chocolates that must be rooted in something emotional.
Enjoy your sandwich!