One of the things I gave thanks for was CASHEW CREAM. This epic, multifaceted vegan topping/lifesaver is easily confused by carnivore friends and family as real, unhealthy dairy-based cream. But it’s not. It’s wonderful and healthy.
Uses for cashew cream:
- Vegetable crepes. Fill your crepes with cashew cream and chopped veggies for a delicious, savory lunch.
- Soup. I make the best carrot soup, and mixed in some cashew cream to get a marble soup that was delicious and creamy and awesome.
- Creamed Kale. One of my favorite holiday dishes is creamed kale (pictured above!) and it’s a healthy dish made with cooked kale and cashew cream sauce.
You know what the best part about cashew cream is? It takes five minutes to make!
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked overnight.
- 2 cups warm water.
- Juice from 1/2 orange, or 1/4 cup orange juice.
- 1/4 tsp. salt.
- 1/2 lemon (optional).
Soak the cashews overnight.
Then, drain them and toss ’em into the blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Use less water for a thicker consistency. Only use a lemon if you like a more citrus-y cream sauce.
Then bleeeeeeeeeend for like five minutes on the highest setting, until all the lumps disappear.
And there you have it! The perfect plant-based alternative to the dairy nonsense out there.
Good luck, face planters!